BrainTrust ACT / SAT Test Preparation
How well do you need to do on the ACT or SAT?
Did you know that the average SAT exam score for college bound seniors in the United States in 2019 was 1059? In North Carolina, the average SAT score was 41 points higher than the national average, or 1100. The national average ACT exam score for college bound seniors in 2019 was a 21, two points higher than the North Carolina state average at 19. Listed below are the median SAT and ACT scores for first-year students at North Carolina colleges and universities:
Source: College Board, 2019
|University ||ERW ||Math ||SAT ||ACT|
|Appalachian State ||600 ||585 ||1185 ||25|
|Campbell ||550 ||550 ||1100 ||23|
|Davidson ||680 ||690 ||1370 ||31|
|Duke ||710 ||750 ||1460 ||33|
|Elon ||625 ||615 ||1240 ||28|
|Meredith ||560 ||540 ||1100 ||23|
|NCSU ||650 ||670 ||1320 ||29|
|Salem ||585 ||570 ||1155 ||25|
|UNC - Asheville ||590 ||565 ||1155 ||25|
|UNC - Chapel Hill ||680 ||690 ||1370 ||30|
|UNC - Charlotte ||595 ||550 ||1145 ||24|
|UNC - Greensboro ||545 ||530 ||1075 ||23|
|UNC - Wilmington ||625 ||630 ||1255 ||25|
|Wake Forest ||680 ||710 ||1390 ||31||
"Just wanted to let you know that (student) scored 130 points higher on his math section this time around on the SAT, I'm sure because of the help you gave him. He made a 690, up from a 560, and so now his reading-math SAT is 1310. Thanks so very much for your wonderful work with him! We really appreciate it. You opened the doors for him at colleges that might have been closed before."
Raleigh SAT Prep
The obvious implications: your student must score far above the state average on the ACT and SAT should he or she wish to attend one of North Carolina's premiere colleges or universities.
"Her (student)'s score went up 60 points in math and verbal. "
Cary SAT Prep
The SAT changed in 2016!
We can teach you how to prepare for this important exam.
The four areas of focus for this three hours and 50 minutes exam:
- Reading (formerly Critical Reading): Focuses upon the student's ability to both understand words in context and to analyze evidence through passage-based multiple choice questions Passages may be paired with informational graphics.
- Writing and Language Test: Focuses upon the student's ability to proofread and edit a passage.
- Math: No-calculator and calculator portions include mostly multiple-choice based questions. A few questions require student-produced responses known as "grid-ins". Questions emphasize problem-solving, modeling, using tools strategically and employing algebraic structure. Additional topics in math such as geometry and trigonometry are covered to test college readiness.
- Optional Essay: Students must read a passage and then explain how the author builds his/her argument in a short essay. Most colleges do not require this section for admittance.
"(Student) got a "760" on his math score! Thank you very much for your work with him. I am certain it helped."
Wake Forest SAT Prep
NEW SAT VS. OLD SAT
- Math section features a longer calculator section.
- "Real-world" math problems (i.e., common core compliant) that require multiple steps to solve.
- No experimental section.
- Fewer answer choices so guessing is easier.
- No penalty for missed questions.
- Optional essay at the end of the test.
"Just heard from (student) today that he did well. 600+ on every section."
Cary SAT Prep
All of our BrainTrust tutors scored in the top 10 percentile on the SAT. Contact BrainTrust today to discover how our unique ACT and SAT Reading test prep approach can help maximize your child's scores.